02 August 2007

The Stay Command

I thought this training session would be a hard time. And I am right. Dogs never want to stay still and doing nothing. That’s not their usual behaviours, they have to run, jump and bark, all their normal activities. Tell them to “Stay“? You know how they commanded dogs to stay? Well, just simply saying “stay”, that’s simple, I thought. But this is how I’ve done.

Using a training lease as usual, walking the dog then stop, make sure the dog sit on my left, I release the leash, before I walk away, I say “Stay” and move my left hand to in front of his face, quick and firm as if I am hitting him, at the same time. Then I turn away, walking about 3 or 5 mettres away, often turning back to give the command to make sure he still stay. I repeated that often, the next is longer walk than the previous.

The man who received award for this training session had walked away for 50 mettres away from his dog. So I know that it ’s hard but it can be done.

No comments: